Currently, the scarf is only a few inches thick, but eventually (and hopefully eventually will come sooner than later!), it'll become a chunky scarf perfect for keeping you snuggly no matter what the weather.

To start, I bought two packages of yarn from a close-by crafts store. Personally, I think this knit works best with thick, chunky yarn as this will help make your final product warmer and cozier. For those of you who have little or no experience with knitting/crochet/etc, the label on each pack of yarn will usually have a value of that particular yarn's thickness and an appropriate needle size suggestion.

Above is a picture of the label on the yarn, detailing the thickness and the suggested needle size. For the yarn I used, the thickness is "super bulky" or size 6, and the recommended knitting needle size is 9mm (US 13). Like I mentioned earlier, my project is very far from complete. However, this is how I decided to make the scarf. (I promise to post a picture of the final project when I finish!)
After deciding on what kind and color yarn I wanted, I cast on 120 stitches onto my circular needles with a twist. (The number of stitches is entirely up to personal preference and the desired circumference of the final product.) Normally, having a twist in your yarn is terrible (and will cause you to have to pull your project to start over!), but is necessary for a mobius shape. Let me stress that again: having a twist is only necessary for this project to achieve the mobius shape. I decided to go with the pattern of 3 stitches downwards then 2 upwards, otherwise known as "knit 3, purl 2." Below is a picture of my scarf thus far:

I know this is just a little late, seeing as spring has already sprung, but I promise this is a super easy project and worth your time, provided that you have nothing important pending and that you actually want/would wear this scarf. Next time I'll post something a little more time appropriate! Meanwhile, show me your newest projects! x
ooh goodluck (: remember when we had that sleepover with all the qt oliver james movies & we knit the night away?
ReplyDeleteyeupp.. never finished that scarf (;